- A linguistics and education professor from Michigan State University claims that telling somebody that you can’t understand him is an example of “linguistic racism.”
- More specifically, it’s “racist” to ask a person to repeat what he said because you “don’t understand [his] thick accent”
- Another example is someone “openly say[ing] only English is to be spoken in the workplace” despite the presence of multilingual employees.
- Professor Peter De Costa says “acts of racism perpetuated against individuals on the basis of their language use.”
- De Costa places some of the blame for current linguistic racism on the outgoing presidential administration due to its “jingoistic sentiments that target speakers who do not use the dominant language.”
- Those who don’t (or can’t) speak English, the prof says, are “perceived as being unpatriotic and unwilling to embrace American values.”
- There’s also the president’s “false labeling” of COVID-19 as the “Wuhan Virus” which “fueled xenophobic resentment” against Chinese and Chinese-Americans.
- Such gave the virus an “ethnolinguistic quality,” De Costa says, which subjected that demographic to “blatant dehumanization” and “unnecessary ostracization.”
- De Costa elaborates further in his article “Linguistic racism: its negative effects and why we need to contest it” published in the International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism.
Read the FULL article over at College Fix by clicking here
MORE NEWS TODAY:
- College Fix: Pennsylvania school district cans teacher who participated in Washington, DC protest
- Gateway Pundit: THEY WANT BLOOD: Mozilla Argues “More Must Be Done” to Rid Internet of President Trump and other “Bad Actors”
- Breitbart News: McConnell Circulates Impeachment Procedures, Which Wouldn’t Begin Until Trump’s Term Ends
- Independent Sentinel: Tell the whole story! Police let protesters into the Capitol building
- Neon Nettle: Nikki Hayley: Twitter’s Trump Suspension Is Like an Act of Communist China
- Just The News: After Colin Kaepernick praised deadly BLM riots, Twitter CEO gave him $3 million
- Uncover DC: Normal Hearts in The Freezing Cold: What is MAGA?
- Washington Times: Brandon Straka, 500K-strong ‘Walk Away’ page banned by Facebook: ‘Every member of my team!’
- Daily Wire: EXCLUSIVE: Senior Trump Advisers Anticipated Twitter Ban, Urged Trump To Switch To Parler In Early 2020
- Federalist: The Trump Purge Makes Living In America More Like Living In China
- Gateway Pundit: EXCLUSIVE: TGP Interview with Jovan Hutton Pulitzer Reveals Disturbing Experience with Hannity’s Producer When He Attempted to Share Solution to Save America (Audio)
- DB Daily Update: Big Tech’s Anti-Conservatve Putsch Mirrors its ChiCom Masters
- New York Post: Mike Tyson podcast descends into chaos: ‘I would’ve killed him’
- Just The News: Friday Night Massacre: Twitter purges Trump, Parler faces bans from Apple and Google
- Newsbusters: Rush, Levin, Dobbs Gone: Enraged Conservative Leaders Abandon Twitter (Whatfinger as well! No more Twitter)
- Ind. Sentinel: The New Normal
- Gateway Pundit: Biden’s Pick for Attorney General Couldn’t Be More Anti-Constitutional – Which Explains Why He Was Obama’s Failed Supreme Court Pick
- CFP: Corruption Has Consequences
- Liberty Nation: The Politics Of HollyWeird: Tinseltown Not In A Rush For Vaccine
- College Fix: Michigan State prof: Telling someone you can’t understand their accent is ‘linguistic racism’
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.